My father, the son

 


Above is a photo of my father with his siblings ( standing) when he was about 12.  He was born in 1917.

I have very fond memories about my father but looking at this photo I started wondering, what it must have been to be a son at that age? To have a father who was probably one of the most famous people in the state of Kerala then, to have a father who went to jail for 6 months when he was just 4 years and then again in 1930 when he was just 13 for standing up against the British rule. First one in Kerala to go to jail.

Once when I started asking him about my grandfather (achachan), he said “Ammu do you know, I never knew my father; he was never there for us”. 

Now when I think about it, I feel it was words of a loving son, a little boy who missed his father immensely.  From the time my father was 4, Achachan was always working or travelling. If he was at home, he was busy with his leadership role as the head of the Congress committee (just an institution for the Freedom struggle then), working for the newspaper that he founded (Mathrubhumi) or studying his cases (lawsuits) that he had to present in court. Their house was the headquarters for the Kerala Congress Committee. So, it was 24/7.

Wonder how it must have been for my father, the little boy, to have his house busy all the time, have people eminent and otherwise, mostly strangers who come and go often, use his sleeping space as well all the other rooms constantly. His mother and his aunts were busy too, toiling in the kitchen to feed everyone who come to visit at all odd hours. (K.P. Kesava Menon in his autobiography Kazhinja kalam had written that he stayed in my grandfather’s house wuth his family for 6 months)

Also read from Mr. V.R.Menon’s  Mathrubhumiyude Charitram Vol I that in 1928 Achachan bailed Mathrubhumi Newspaper out from bankruptcy by giving all his savings and his wife and sons were with him when he gave the check (excerpts below). My father was 11 at that time. What was going through his mind when his father did it? Did he even know the significance and the risk his father was taking?

And within a few years, he lost his father at the tender age of 16 on September 28, 1933. “A national loss!” Mahatma Gandhi wrote in a telegram when he was informed (attached below). Wonder what my father felt as a son about his father’s loss?

Did all this affect him? I don’t know. But I would like to think that he took it all in a stride, as part of life. He was a very curious child always eager to learn. He learnt driving when he was 12, learnt carpentry from the people who were building their house, learnt marma chikitsa from the expert physician who came to treat his father and loved to do tricks with his bicycle. As we were climbing the steep steps to one of his cousin’s house, he said proudly “I have driven my bicycle down over these steps!”.  “How is that even possible?” I wondered. He must have been a very naughty little boy.

He was a good son indeed.  Honest, loving, spiritual, never drank or smoked, in fact he was vehemently against it. He was  a role model for my brothers, always present, family was everything for him.  If my grandfather had lived longer, he would have been proud of his son.

For those who are interested attaching a few documents for reference.

Gandhiji's telegram


Excerpts from an article my uncle wrote about my grandfather's arrest:

Excerpts from Mathrubhumiyude Charithram Vol I by V R Menon, an important part of  its history



Comments

  1. A superb narration about the possible feelings of Dad regarding his Father ; with a historical perspective! Way to go , Ammu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A superb narration about the possible feelings of Dad regarding his Father ; with a historical perspective! Way to go , Ammu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ammu, that was a very lovely write-up of your father's childhood, and a boy child's thoughts and feelings about his politically famous father ...very poignant and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work, keep it up.👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gopalakrishnan ParappilJanuary 29, 2021 at 5:29 AM

    Beautiful and touching narrative. These days it is very difficult to find political leaders with such commitment and honesty like your grandfather. And to be the son of such a leader is a rare experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminiscence of a daughter- Father, son and daughter. Keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Padmini..You are blessed to be the grand daughter of such an eminent person and daughter of such a loving father.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pappini, I love reading this history. Its so nice that you're able to piece together from so many accounts the events of that tumultuous time in our history. Im stumbling across such articles too once in awhile on my paternal great uncles. I wish now I had asked my grandmother more questions about her siblings and their childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb writing style. I think that our fathers generation had a nobility and grace that we don't see too often today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing narration. The sacrifices your grandfather made on the Homefront resulted in laying a strong foundation for the freedom movement and also propelling him to become one of the most prominent face from southern India.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Padmini, I loved reading the historical part of your family. Well written. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent.Your language,the way you projected the facts and sentiments,all impressive.Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  13. Padmini, What a sweet, poignant blog. Your language always makes one feel they are witnessing some of the events first hand (as one reads it, I can see the steps, rough, sometimes with moss in the end from the rain) . Please keep these coming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. truly took me back down the lush green path of nostalgia, to lives and relationships that seem so eternal..often wish that i was born a few hundred years back..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another super post! And fascinating history! Looking forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In my mother's honor

Ayurveda my personal experience.

My Grandfather's role in Kerala Piravy (Foundation) Day